iDoor – iPhone Controlled Hydraulic Door

Opening up the door to your dorm room?

There’s an app for that.

Here’s the story of iDoor, the iPhone controlled hydraulic dorm room door.  Enjoy. Credits to Greg Schroll for most of the hardware.

Life at MIT can be tough. With all the problem sets, and projects taking up time, when I come back to my dorm room to crash, I don’t want to waste time opening doors myself! That’s why my room is outfitted with an iPhone controlled hydraulic door opener and unlocker.  Just tap the “iDoor” app on my phone’s home screen, and the door opens for me.  Its 2009 after all, about time we stopped carrying around shaped bits of metal to open up locked doors.

All the apps I need

Chris Varenhort's iPhone has one special app...

When security isn’t my chief concern, I can even ditch the phone altogether and just give iDoor a ‘secret’ knock (not so secret any more) and let the vibration sensor trigger the door opening.  See the video above for the full run through.

Technical Overview

Phidget control board

Phidget control board

iDoor is controlled directly from a scrounged up PIII computer running Ubuntu, interfaced with the hardware using the wonderful Phidget 8/8/8 control board.   An early version of the controls used an MIT Happyboard, but for Internet connectivity and development speed, the full PC was chosen.  The software was written in Java using the Phidget library.  (I’ll share the code if you’re interested).

Solenoid valves

Solenoid valves

Piston

Piston

The door is opened by a hydraulic actuator that taps into the sink in the room.   It was built by Greg Schroll in 2006.  The sink inflow tap and outflow tap are connected to a set of 4 one-way solenoid valves.  These valves are connected in such a way that together they can function as a 3-way valve.  Either pushing water one way in the chamber, forcing the piston to open the door, pushing it the other way, forcing the piston to close the door, or diverting water directly from the sink tap to the sink drain (just wasting water!).  The door actuator was custom built by Greg, so get it touch with him if you have questions about its construction.

Solenoid relays

Relays controlling the solenoids

There are two relays between two pairs of solenoids and the 24v power supply.  The relays are tripped from the control board.  One relay opens the door, the other closes it.

Door handle actuator

Door handle actuator

To ‘unlock’ iDoor, a Phidget servo controller has a large Hitech HS-755 servo twist the handle. While opening, it just twists the handle all the way, and when closing, the pulse width is enough to keep the deadlatch from applying too much friction to the strike plate, but still lock. The servo controller can’t output enough power to turn the big servo, so I spliced in a 1.5A 5v cell phone power supply.

Limit switches

Limit switches

There are two limit switches on the door that depress when the door is in its fully closed or fully open state.  The software uses these to know when to close the solenoids.

Interfaces

There’s a re-appropriated handicap button(seen in video) that also ties into the Phidget control board for easy opening when I’m away from my computer or without my phone.  It also functions as an emergency stop button to stop the door while it’s moving.

Vibration sensor

Vibration sensor

For knock activation, there is a vibration sensor at the top of the door positioned so that when the door is closed the sensor part touches the doorframe.  The control software uses the analog input from this sensor to detect my secret knock pattern, and open the door.

I also had my laptop configured so a particular key combination would alternate the door’s state.

A nice property of the whole design is that it can be completely removed from the room without too much work (though who would want too?).

Thoughts of living with it for 9 months…

I spent my senior year living with this door, and besides having to replace a servo, it pretty much worked flawlessy.  The only trouble was my hallmates hacking the door, and random EM noises doing weird things to it. I’m not sure if I’ve actually saved time in the long run, but it was definitely fun. Some of my favorite uses of the door are opening it remotely for friends that need to get stuff out of my room, (though it can be confusing for people that aren’t familiar with it).  If I leave in a hurry, I can also just tell my phone to close my door when I remember later.  Another good trick is opening and closing the door randomly during parties on my hall, confusing bystanders endlessly.

Some things I’ve discovered:

• When I turn on my speakers, my door handle twitches.
  • Once I left a long analog input cable going into the control board, and it would somehow pick up noise in just the right pattern to trigger the opening sequence.  This always happens at about 4am while I am sleeping.
  • A secret knock, isn’t actually that secure.
  • Handicap buttons aren’t as hard to find as you think
  • Even after 9 months, it never gets old.

83 Comments / Leave a comment

1. Faustino on Oct 17th, 2013 - 4:02 pm Reply this comment

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites
    really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark
    your website to come back down the road. All the best|

2. リモワ スーツケース 激安 on Oct 17th, 2013 - 6:43 pm Reply this comment
  3. programypity.pl on Oct 17th, 2013 - 8:46 pm Reply this comment

Hi colleagues, how is the whole thing, and what you
    desire to say about this article, in my view its actually remarkable designed for me.|

4. programypity.pl on Oct 17th, 2013 - 9:57 pm Reply this comment

Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Bless you|

5. darmowy program pit 2014 on Nov 8th, 2013 - 8:40 am Reply this comment

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this web site needs much more attention.
    I’ll probably be back again to read through more, thanks for
    the info!|

6. M K on Dec 27th, 2013 - 10:51 am Reply this comment

Modern-day Ferris Bueller… good stuff

7. Salvatore on Jan 8th, 2014 - 2:45 am Reply this comment

It’s very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as
    I found this piece of writing at this web site.

8. Wayne on Jan 21st, 2014 - 7:32 pm Reply this comment

Really no matter if someone doesn’t be aware of after that its up to
    other people that they will assist, so here it happens.

9. http://www.travelpod.com/ on Feb 6th, 2014 - 3:59 pm Reply this comment

I Ƅelieve what you posted made a ton off ѕense. However, what about this?
    suppose уou were to crеate a kilkler hеadline?
    I ain’t suggesting yoօur contyent isn’t ѕolid, however
    what if you added a post title that makes people deѕire more?
    I mean chris@loсalhost

10. http://www.travelpod.com/ on Feb 6th, 2014 - 3:59 pm Reply this comment

I Ƅelieve what you posted made a ton off ѕense. However, what about this?
    suppose уou were to crеate a kilkler hеadline?
    I ain’t suggesting yoօur contyent isn’t ѕolid, however
    what if you added a post title that makes people deѕire more?
    I mean chris@loсalhost

11. With the discuss getting the cabability to unlock apple iphone 5S, it’s all-natural tht you may possibly
    be a very little fascinated. It is been jusst a little over a season since thhe iphone 5S tore its
    extended distance to stores just about everywhere.

The reviews for tthe hotly-awaited Apple device were actually practically globally
    beneficial. Even today, massive qantities of folks
    are making use of their apple iphone 5S. Simply because
    off its absolute volume of probable software to utilize (around 700Thousand) alone,
    it’s a traditional formidable product. The option by havving an apple iphone 5S are
    virtually unlimited.

Are You Able To Unlock apple iphone 5S

unlock apple iphone 5s atAndtBut that’s
    the oone thing: It isn’t fully limitless. Getting your iphone 5S means getting the opportunity
    to ddo practically nearly anything. Obtaining your apple
    iphone 5S unlocked indicates obtaining the ability to do absolutely something.
    That is how it operates.

Assk for any individual containing unlocked an apple iphone 5S tto date.

Almost these will explain that despite the robability concerns of unleashing their iphone 5S, the huge benefits much more than-shadow the potential effects.
    It is correct that even at this time the iphone 5S is undoubtedly an remarkable
    product. This remarkable bit of machinery becomes better still
    if you have youir apple iphone 5S unlocked with a
    trustworthy company. You’ve obtained the ability to unlock the
    actual energy through the mobile phone. That is why many people
    optt to have the step into acdquiring their
    apple iphone unlocked.

Before dling this, it does not hurt to kmow the pros
    and cons of accomplishing this.

Benefits of Unleashing Your apple iphone

The advantages of going the unlock apople ipphone 5S path are considerable.
    Any person who’s even rremotely reluctant to oobtain their telephone unlocked
    usually changes their mind, once they identify the any
    great things about doing this.

You will discover 100s of 1000′s oof software
    readily available for the iphone 5S. This can be typicl understanding.
    Anything you decide and never understand is alway that by having
    an unlocked apple iphone 5S, the volume of software you can actually download for
    the gadget will climb tenfold. There arre actually countless aapps that despite the fact that obtainable for the apple iphone 5S, aren’t granted underneath tthe
    present iOS in the gadget. Unleashing your telephone will allow you
    tto have for this particular issue. You may be liberated to take advantage
    of the apps which were formerly noot available for you.

There are actually also many programs that you’ll have the
    capability to employ, that were not formerly accessible to
    you using a manufacturing facility locked apple iphone 5S.
    The purrpose of getting an unlocked apole iphone 5S would be to have the
    ability to see what these programs can perform for you personally, though these programs vary inn effectiveness.
    If the celll phone iis unlocked, you will are able to really see what’s readily available.

You willl also have the capability to make changes to the iOS on itts own. Using the mobile phone continues to be securely and correctly unlocked
    by using a reliable organization who may be an exoert ssimilar things, you are
    able to embark on altering the working-system from the product to suit your tastes.

You’ll are able to raise the phone’s battery pack lifestyle, expand its recollection, plus much more.
    Maake sure you’re self-confident with carrying this out initially.

These are simply several from the benefits you are able to
    participate in. You can find actually even moreover. Understanding that is why learning too unlock an iphone is actually vital that you other folks.
    It’s simple to ccomprehend to are interested inn learning associated
    with this. The freedom from the unlocked apple iphone 5S iis a thing that actuallly should be skilled.

Even so, it is continue to vital that you recognize that it isn’t an ideal set-up whatsoever.

But Are There Unlock ihone 5S Drawbacks?

Ther are actually no down sides to having your apple iphone
    5S unlocked. By getting your apple iphkne IMEI number puut
    into Apple’s unlock database, the procedure is simply.
    There’s no application, and you may get no risks.

Once that draining your apple iphone 5S from the measures that avoided you against installing the programs and applications you would lke also
    meant losing your safety precautions it was. Absolutely nothing might bbe more wrong, using this type of new approach to unleashing your
    cell phone. You continue to be protected against protection threats andd also other prospective hazards.

You won’t shed the safety you’re presently geetting from tech support along with your coonfirmed guarantee.

In addition, you are going to keep the opportunity set up iOS updates.
    It’s understandable these updates aree crucial on the healthiness of yourr respective cell phone.
    Regardless of your phone remains securely and permanently unlocked,
    you’ll have the chages that can make it polssible for your mobile
    phone to handle on performing.

Once a number of potental issues with getting your phone unlocked there was.

Individuals outcomes appear to happen to be removed using this type of new process.
    You’re recceiving every one of the benefits, and also you
    don’tshould take the time with regards to a aspect.

Receiving Began With An iphone 5S Unlock

factoryiphone5sWhether you are stuck inside a lengthy-expression contract, or pedhaps your commitment is almost
    to complete, yoou might still give serious thought to owning
    your iphone unlocked. Surprisingly, yoou are able to really reuce your cost,
    even though getting a lengthy-term contract will make you reluctant.
    Just terminate your del early on, possess the mobile phone unlocked, and
    change for anny provider that provides the ideal looking deal for you.
    Thee chances to discover a company that can present you
    with significant cost savings above youjr agreement (that
    is certainly probably how you will got your phone in the
    first place) are really excellent. Better still, you won’t be required to obtain yet another iphone 5S.An unlocdked variation means you be capable
    of go to the company you need.

If iit may be too good to be real, all this sounds as.
    It isn’t. In the finish during the day, the unlock apple iphone 5S concept has a lot of compelling possibilities too pass through up, even though you can preserve the possibility effects in your mind.
    Individuals who’ve made the move for yoou to get their gadget unlocked can’t believe
    that the primary difference. They query the direction they at any time acquired toether with a factory sercured telephone.
    You might be among men and women individuals, also.

It is truly very easy.

12. medical symptoms on Jun 13th, 2014 - 4:27 pm Reply this comment

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the
    future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and
    if I coupd I desire to recommend youu some fascinating things orr
    suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles referring to this article.
    I want tto read even more things agout it!

13. value your car free on Jun 25th, 2014 - 5:43 pm Reply this comment

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped
    me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided
    me.

14. 革 バッグ レディース on Jul 8th, 2014 - 3:39 am Reply this comment

チャンルーはセレブの愛用者も多く、これを初めて購入しました。とってもなじみが良く気に入っています。巻き方によって色々楽しめるので、購入して良かったと思います。色も落ち着いていてギラギラせず、かといって地味ではなくとても良いです。他の商品も是非購入してみようと思います。

15. unlock iphone verizon imei on Jul 22nd, 2014 - 12:58 pm Reply this comment

Thank you for the good writeup. It in reality used
    to be a enjoyment account it. Glance advanced to more
    introduced agreeable from you! However, how can we keep in touch?

Trackbacks:

Posting your comment, please wait!