Vender – An internet controlled classic vending machine

An internet controlled classic vending machine

A few months ago I picked up a functioning old soda machine off craigslist. This machine was built in 1977 and has been comfortably vending soda the same way for over 30 years. Thats boring, lets make this retro machine a little more modern!

Vender has its credit functions, and dispense button electronically controlled and has two capacitive touch sensors to dispense free soda if you know the secret place to put your hands. It also has a police beacon light atop of it to signal when someone remotely dispenses a can. All of this is on a platform connected the internet, enabling operation from a website (buyusbeer.com) or my iPhone! It makes for a great living room decoration, and always serves up ice cold soda (and beer).

Since I’m moving out and traveling this summer, me and my roommates are selling Vender on eBay. A portion of the sale goes to support the Kiva foundation. Check it out.

Technical Overview

Control Board

Control Board

Here’s the Phidget 8/8/8 control board at the heart of Vender. This is used to send signals to the relays, and to react to the input from the touch sensors. The control board is connected to an old P4 computer I was able to scrounge up around MIT. The computer runs all the code that lets Vender interact with the internet.

iPhone Control

iPhone apps to dispense beer and sodaSomewhat like my door, Vender can be controlled from my iPhone. I have two buttons on my home screen, ‘Soda’ and ‘Beer’ that perform their respective functions. This is the easiest way to dispense from the machine! Though a number of times I have pushed it while I’m away only to find a warm beer sitting sitting in the machine when I come back.

Credit Relay

Credit Wire

Wires going in to the credit pins

Vending machines from this era all equipped with Jones plugs between the coin mechanism and the rest of the machine. The coin mechanism handles the tricky task of accepting money and giving back change, and then just tells the rest of the machine when a soda has been paid for. After trolling the soda-machines.com forums, I learned that to establish credit you just need to momentarily connect pins 1 and 7 on the plug. I snaked two wires to these pins and then connected them with a relay operated from the control board. The original coin mechanism is still plugged in.

Button Relays

Button RelaysWire from button relay

Button Relays

The button relays are a bit less elegant. After finding the electrical diagram of the machine from the manufactures website (thanks Fawn Vending Systems!), I cut and stripped the wires coming out of each button’s microswitch. Then I spliced in another loop through a relay so that I can simulate a button press from the control board. The microswitches are still connected so the buttons still works otherwise.

Touch Sensors

Touch Sensor

Touch Sensor

Behind the front panel are two Phidget  touch sensors based on the QT110 chip. These sensors works by detecting small variations in capacitiance caused by something like a human finger. They work through any dielectric material (in this case plastic) and don’t require actual touch, only proximity of about 1/4 inch. With the light off on Vender their presence behind the plastic isn’t noticeable.

BuyUsBeer.com

vending machine in Buy Us Beer mode

Vender in Buy Us Beer mode

My roommates (Tom and Jonathan) put together a website and hooked Vender up the general internet at http://buyusbeer.com . Here we stream a live video of our living room and the machine. You can pay $1, see a countdown before the beer comes out, and then watch us drink it. We’re operating it on friday nights and its been surprisingly popular among our friends as well as the reddit community. We don’t really make any money off it, especially considering paypal takes 30cent from every dollar, but we’ve sold a surprising amount of beer.

Finally…

Me and all my roommates are moving out in a few weeks, so we’re putting the vending machine, electronics, and buyusbeer.com website/domain on ebay. %10 of the sale is going to Kiva. If you’re curious, check out the sale at eBay.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch at chris@varenhor.st. You can also find me on twitter @varenc

190 Comments / Leave a comment

1. accountancy service on Feb 27th, 2015 - 10:55 am Reply this comment

They are able to additionally translate what the law states to your benefit.

As Wise stole money from his clients intended for the payment of their tax obligations, he also continued billing
    them for his accounting services. The “Pop Quiz” tool incorporates short, easy to read, case studies with a multiple choice answer system with email feedback
    to save busy practitioners time, and speed them through the process of keeping their
    “marketing brain” alert.

2. The Facts On Vital Aspects In shopping on Mar 12th, 2015 - 4:36 am Reply this comment

A good online shopping tip to remember is to leave feedback after
    buying from a source you’ve never bought from before. That is probably why a lot of people choose
    this alternative over any other. Pizza Hut, was the one that lead the way to
    e-commerce, with the option of online ordering for the restaurant in California.

3. Trylo Fire on Apr 10th, 2015 - 11:02 pm Reply this comment

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just
    too wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying
    and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you
    still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read far
    more from you. This is really a wonderful website.

4. hettie9632 on Apr 12th, 2015 - 1:29 pm Reply this comment

Not one of the various posts I’ve come across are like this one. You can tell alot of work went into this.

5. Drug Test on May 1st, 2015 - 5:21 pm Reply this comment

Always be thoroughly prepared to pass your drug test

6. beata5155 on May 12th, 2015 - 1:02 pm Reply this comment

I’ve got to say that this is most definitely one of many impressive postings I’ve discovered on this subject matter. I will certainly keep an eye on your posts.

7. песня on May 19th, 2015 - 9:33 am Reply this comment

What’s up, I wish for to subscribe for this website to obtain newest updates, so where can i do it please
    assist.

8. Aracelis on May 22nd, 2015 - 2:24 pm Reply this comment

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this blog.
    I really hope to view the same high-grade content by you later on as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to
    get my very own website now ;)

Trackbacks:

1. Old school vending machine learns new tricks - Hack a Day
  2. iPhone Vending Machine Sells Sodas By The App (video) | mentime.net
  3. iPhone app & web-controlled soda machine « Artificial Intelligence Church
  4. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app « Apple « Apple News Fan Page
  5. iWyre
  6. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | Free Apple iPad - Tested and Proven Method!
  7. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | iPhone Firmware
  8. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | oQlz Blog
  9. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | Splish/Splash/Mash
  10. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app
  11. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app « Ipad
  12. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | touchmyiphone.com
  13. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | Free iPad - One Time Offer!
  14. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | Techne.ws
  15. iPhone Home » Blog Archive » Soda machine controlled by iPhone app
  16. iPhone Controlled Soda Machine
  17. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app « Apple News Daily
  18. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app | iPhone 3G Tricks
  19. Apple-Overload! » Soda machine controlled by iPhone app
  20. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app «
  21. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app · computer hardware prices
  22. » iPhone app & web-controlled soda machine - Daring Minds.Com
  23. Os presento a Vender, la máquina de refrescos más geek de todos los tiempos | ALT1040
  24. Os presento a Vender, la máquina de refrescos más geek de todos los tiempos | Noticortos.com
  25. Soda machine controlled by iPhone app : The iPhone Dock - Latest iPhone News and Blogs
  26. Kolumne: From Hell
  27. Old school vending machine learns new tricks | Myhackz
  28. iPhone News : Soda machine controlled by iPhone app
  29. iPhone app & web-controlled soda machine « The tech telecom and all
  30. El primer meme: una máquina de Coca-Cola conectada a Internet | Cooking Ideas
  31. www.pcdepositofonds.nl
  32. Calvin Klein cheap underwear
Posting your comment, please wait!